May 15, 2012

Savor Nashville + a contest

Remember the episode of Friends where Rachel and Monica battled against Chandler and Joey in a game about how well they know each other?  They're neck and neck, until Monica and Rachel lose (the apartment!) because they can't identify what Chandler does for a living.

"Oh gosh, it's something to do with numbers...and processing.  He carries a briefcase."
"Something to do with transponding..." 
"Oh, oh!  He's a transpon...a transponster!"
"That's not even a word!"

Welcome to the world of public relations.  I feel fairly certain that most of my family members couldn't tell you what I do for a living.  Cue another favorite, this time the film version of Bridget Jones's Diary.  I don't just "fanny about with the press releases," you see.

In a nutshell, it's my job to make sure you, the public, hear about the exciting things going on with my clients.  The great thing about working for a small agency is that we seek out and work with clients whose products and services are of personal interest to us.  That said, I spend a good part of most days talking about, writing about, dreaming about, and well, eating food. 

So if I didn't tell you about Savor Nashville, I wouldn't be doing my job. 

The annual culinary weekend does an exceptional job of showcasing the local food scene, not just in Nashville but in surrounding areas. 

I love the concept of the Celebrity Chef Dinner, which brings in award-winning chefs from other markets.  It's like I get the opportunity to try out new restaurants without having to leave the city, which is great for someone who's not doing too much traveling these days.  This Saturday, May 19, Savor Nashville will offer a five-course meal prepared by Chef James Boyce of Cotton Row in Huntsville, AL and Chef Bruce Moffett of Barrington's Restaurant in Charlotte, NC. I've seen the menu, and I'm already planning on which forgiving (read: stretchy) outfit I should wear to accommodate all five courses.  It will be an evening of culinary firsts for me, as I've never tried a quail egg, which will make an appearance in the first course.  And true to form, I'm most excited about the dessert course: peanut butter and jelly in phyllo with strawberry compote, milk chocolate ice cream and salty peanuts.  All the stuff in between sounds decadent (stretchy pants): roasted halibut with potato pave, wilted greens, green garlic soubise and caramelized shallot vinaigrette, followed by beef short ribs with grits, balsamic portabella mushrooms, herb salad and provencal tomato. Each course will feature wine pairings from Cultivate

The weekend of Eating All The Delicious Things continues Sunday, May 20, with Challenge to the Chefs: a local chef cook off where contenders must use the following local ingredients:  Benton's Bacon, Goo Goo Clusters and Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey.  Attendees will get to meander about, watching some of Nashville's legitimately best chef talent work to prepare incredible food.  And then we get to eat it.  There will be a Bloody Mary bar, plus samples from Cascal, Juice Nashville and Jack Daniels.

Job perk: I've already sampled an incredible creation that includes all three of the local ingredients.  Deb Paquette made a Goo Goo Cluster quesadilla with spicy bacon, bourbon apple relish, and bourbon caramel sauce for a recent TV segment.  That won't be her contest entry, but I'd sure vote for the chance to eat it again. 



Tickets to Savor Nashville are still available.  Don't miss this weekend of culinary genius.  Hey, if you need stretchy clothes, I'll even lend you a pair of maternity pants that I haven't yet parted with. 

Now, the contest*! 

I'm giving away a pair of tickets to Savor Nashville's Challenge to the Chefs, set for this Sunday, May 20, 12 p.m. at Union Station Hotel.

To enter, leave a comment telling me which of the Challenge to the Chefs local ingredients you'd most like to cook with.


For up to two additional chances do the following, leaving a separate comment for each:

  1. Follow @nashlifestyles on Twitter and tweet the following: "a delicious giveaway! i just entered to win tickets to @nashlifestyles' #SavorNashville Challenge to the Chefs. http://goo.gl/U77mr"
  2. Become a fan of Nashville Lifestyles magazine on Facebook. 
The contest is open from now until Friday, May 18 at 1 p.m. CST. Please leave a valid email address with your comment so I can notify you if you’ve won. I’ll draw a random number that afternoon and the corresponding comment will be the winner.

*Attendees must be 21 or older to attend.

Contest is closed.  Congratulations to commenter #18, James!



Full disclosure:  Though this event is something I publicize for a living, the decision to post about my personal experience was unprompted by the event organizers.  And yes, I will be wearing stretchy clothes.

39 comments:

  1. As much as I love GooGoos, I also love some Jack Daniels and I'd like to try to come up with more things other than a handful of cocktails with JD Honey, so I'm going with that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tweeted. https://twitter.com/#!/sallaboutme/status/202527617214185472

    ReplyDelete
  3. And now I like them on FB too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to cook with Benton's bacon....I love it and am always looking for new ways to incorporate MORE bacon into our dishes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I already like Nashville Lifestyles on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tweeted! And I already followed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to cook with Jack Daniels Honey and bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like Nashville Lifestyles on facebook

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tweeted about the contest

    dr2baka at gmail . com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I would like to try my hand at the jack daniels just because it would be more of a challenge for me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. already follow on twitter. Tweeted https://twitter.com/#!/familyfocusblog/status/202730564237803520

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey: I have a feeling that it could put a caramel sauce for some homemade vanilla bean ice cream over the top.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I tweeted your tweet: https://twitter.com/#!/BoonieSooze/status/202776797555859457
    and followed @nashlifestyles

    ReplyDelete
  14. I liked Nashville Lifestyles on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oops commented in wrong post, sorry!

    It would be a tough choice between Goo Goo Clusters and Bentons Bacon...but gotta go with the bacon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. email is parkhurstjensi@gmail.com

      Delete
  16. Already like Nashville Lifestyles on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. email parkhurstjensi@gmail.com

      Delete
  17. Definitely the Benton bacon and the JD Honey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't feel comfortable writing my email all over the place for bots to find and spam me. If I magically win, DM or tweet me at jiffypopphd.
      Thanks!

      Delete
  18. I followed Nashlifestyles on twitter.

    DM or tweet me at jiffypopphd.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I liked Nashville Lifestyles mag on FB.
    DM or tweet me at jiffypopphd.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would def. like to cook with the Benton's bacon -- soooo good!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well-- Bacon is one of my favorite foods, but considering its supposed to be a challenge I would go with goo goo clusters. I have recently been introduced to these and cam see some fun ideas. Also-- LOVE bacon with sweets (we once made bacon ice cream at home) so interested to see what the chefs come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  22. JD honey all the way. ivan@ivaneveritt.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would have to go with the Jack Daniels Honey.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just liked Nashville Styles on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Definitely the Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey. I LOVE that stuff, and it goes really well with ginger!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hard decision but I'm going with Benton's Bacon.
    crackerjen70 at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Benton's Bacon, definitely!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. goo goos, without question!

    ReplyDelete
  29. and i like nashville lifestyles on fb!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love incorporating bacon into as many of my recipes as possible, and Benton's Bacon is by far the best!

    It will be interesting to see how people use GooGoo clusters though-- so delish!

    kburky2 at aol.com

    And I've tweeted and liked on facebook :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just love food and havent tried any of that so thank you for all the people who commented on what would be great to try.

    ReplyDelete